[gme-users] Upgrading components from previous versions of GME

Kevin Smyth ksmyth at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jun 24 10:06:17 CDT 2010

Note that only VS2008 is officially supported, but VS2005 and VS2010 should
work for interpreters.

Please follow the first fix in that JIRA issue to fix compilation with
VS2008. GME isn't supported on NT4, so dropping support for it in your
interpreter shouldn't matter.

Attached is a Ruby script I wrote to update GME7 interpreters to GME9/10.
You may find it useful if you have Cygwin + Ruby + rexml gem. To use it,
first open the project in VS2008 to upgrade it, close it, run
upgrade-interpreter.rb Project.vcproj, and reopen the project and upgrade
it.

Basically the steps the script take are:
Change MIDL output file to $(InputName)_h.h
Change BON to BON\Common in additional include dirs and file paths
Add Bon\Common\Exceptions.cpp and Console.cpp
StdAfx.h: Change #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 to 0x0500
ComponentLib.idl: Change #include PATH(... to #include "... (optional)

I vaguely remember there are more steps for very old interpreters.

This is the way I went about it, but you may find it easier to just
regenerate the interpreters.

Kevin