[gme-users] migrating very old models

Akos Ledeczi akos.ledeczi at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Oct 27 08:33:15 CDT 2010

I don't know about trivial :)  I think both the binary and the xml (xme)
formats changed possibly multiple times. What I usually do in these
cases is the following:

Since backward compatibility is typically supported for a while, try
installing a version of GME in-between 2004 and 2010, say 2006 or 2007.
That might be able to open the old models and then save it in the
new(er) format. That in turn may be already OK for the latest GME.
Otherwise, you may have to do it in two steps. Try binary first. If that
does not work, the xme will typically give you meaningful error
messages. Good luck.

The interpreter should be easier. Just try compiling it and see what
error messages you get. The functionality of the various interpreter
interfaces has not changed all that much, function signatures might have...

Hope this helps,
Akos