[gme-users] Mirroring Transactions

Howard, Larry P larry.howard at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Dec 6 06:56:20 CST 2011

If you poke around on the GME trunk you may find a set of commits from lph that attempt to enable a plugin to produce an adequate operation stream.    These changes decorate events, such as OBJEVENT_ATTR, with state information to support characterizations like

object Foo attribute Bar modified from x to y

Such characterizations are useful for consistency checking when applying operations from a stream to another editing session.  For example, if Foo.Bar is not x, then the "modify attribute" operation is in conflict with the target session's state.

Since GME releases cherry pick from the trunk, I'm fairly certain that these exploratory changes were never included in a subsequent release.  But their implementation may provide some insight in ferreting out state from the originating context of operations with which to construct adequate operation streams.

Note that I was only interested in a plugin-based strategy for constructing journals of operations from GME editing sessions.   Lower-level engagement with GME's transaction machinery was beyond the scope of the work, which was principally concerned with using such journals in scaffolding conflict resolution.

Regards,
lph
--
Larry Howard, Sr. Research Scientist
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Vanderbilt University