[gme-users] Too many passes while parsing XML file error

James Edmondson jedmondson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 10:11:54 CDT 2011

Hi Kevin,

I would think that a good debug message could be constructed using a
coloring scheme or by keeping a list of generated models so far in the
importation process and having a simple check for cycles in the XME
structure that looks at the previously concretized models from the XME
source. I'm not sure if this is a common bug with model developers or
not, but if it is, a cycle detection algorithm in the XME import would
be very useful, I would think, in tracking down the culprit and
constructing detailed debugging information.

Cycle and deadlock detection have a lot of attached literature. Does
anyone already have a deadlock detection interpreter for GME that
might be modified to look for this in an XME file (before it is
imported). This might help James Hill find the cycle in his client's
large XME model. He probably doesn't have the MGA file, so this is
sort of like finding a needle in an XML haystack. Does anyone have
experience in looking for these cycles in XME files so we all might
know specifically what to look for when this happens in our own
models?

Thanks,
James