[gme-users] Changing Interpreter Icons

Kevin Smyth ksmyth at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:06:32 CDT 2012

Hi Jennifer,

For C++ interpreters, the icon is compiled by the resource compiler and
linked into your interpreter.dll. The default icon is called
CompIcon.ico. You can replace the contents of that file with the icon
you want, or change Component.rc to reference a different filename. Be
sure to compile Component.rc; you may need to do it manually, since
Visual Studio is bad at picking up changes external to the .rc file.

C++ interpreters tell GME where the icon is with this call:
COMRETURN(registrar->put_ComponentExtraInfo(loc,
CComBSTR(COCLASS_PROGID), CComBSTR("Icon"), CComBSTR(",IDI_COMPICON")));

For C# interpreters, you should change value of the iconName variable in
ComponentConfig.cs.

C# interpreters tell GME where the icon is with this call:
registrar.set_ComponentExtraInfo(ComponentConfig.registrationMode,
ComponentConfig.progID, "Icon", ComponentConfig.iconPath);

The above method is preferable. If you have to change it without
changing the code, you set the Icon REG_SV value under
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\GME\Components\[Progid]\ or its HKCU
equivalent.

Kevin