[gme-users] attribute extraction using the UDM back end

Ray, Sumit (US SSA) sumit.ray at baesystems.com
Thu Mar 8 18:38:25 CST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to access all of the attributes associated with a <model> object as well as the types of the attributes using the UDM backend. In tracing through the backend, I find that both of these methods in Udm::Object only provide attributes described locally in the <model> class.

       set<Uml::Attribute> nodeAttr = [Udm::Object instance].type().Attribute_kind_children();
       set<Uml::Attribute> nodeAttr = [Udm::Object instance].type().attributes();

In particular, these methods do not provide the inherited attributes. I did not see a method that allows programmatically traversing up the meta-model inheritance hierarchy. Of course I can cast to the parent object and then access the attributes, but I am looking for an approach that is more reflective and allows discovery of the hierarchy at runtime rather than requiring static knowledge of the hierarchy.

Also, the above "attribute retrieval" methods do not provide "type" information. Is there an interface to get the type of an attribute or is the recommended approach just calling the type specific attribute accessor methods?

Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks,
Sumit