[great-users] Transforming data between non-equivalent applications

gabtromb gabtromb at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 8 18:27:13 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I need to transform data between two applications, let's say CADML and
ESML for now. I will probably use OTIF and GReAT for this (so, also UDM).

The problem is that these two applications don't capture the same
information. ESML captures the "mode" of functioning of components,
while CADML doesn't. (In the future it will probably be CoSMIC to Cadena
and in that case they both will capture something which the other tool
doesn't capture)

I want to be able to do a round-trip lossless data exchange with them.
The user must be able to import the project CADML <---- ESML, do
modifications into CADML, then re-export to ESML and continue working
there, and data should not be lost, e.g. the user should not need to
re-enter the modes into the components when he goes back into ESML.

I believe this is a common problem, isn't it? Often when you
interoperate two applications, they don't capture exactly the same
properties.

So... how do you usually solve such a problem with OTIF, GReAT and UDM?

Don't tell me that you usually just transfer the common subset of data
and lose all the rest! :-)

Thanks in advance
Gabriele