[great-users] thesis on MDA

Aditya Agrawal aagrawa at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 23 12:48:26 CDT 2004

Dear Olaf,

Please read between the lines :)

Olaf wrote:
> I apologize for the bad formatting of my previous mail.
>
> The questions were the following:
>
> - Is there already any code generator support for Middleware
> (EJB, Hibernate, Struts, ???)? I.e. generation of models for middleware,

> else I have to define entity beans, service beans, ... myself, but it
> could be that someone has already done this effort.

I don't think we have any support at the moment foe EJB, Hibernate and
Struts. I know of a project in ISIS where they have models for CORBA and
CCM (Corba Component model).

I don't know exactly what your goals are but I can talk a little about a
simple use case of GReAT in your setting. I might completely of target but
at least it will get the discussion going.

you would probably want to first create modeling environments for the
different target environments e.g. EJB, Hibernate, Struts. The environment
can then have their code generators that generate code/documentation/XMI.
In MDA terms this would be the PSM modeler. We could add these models to
the GME contribution library for future users.

Then you would create a PIM modeler which is your front end. GReAT could
then be used to convert the PIM models to whichever PSM you want.

In the process described you will unfortunately have to implement all the
parts as none of these environment exist. The good news is that using GME
creating modeling environments is easy.

> - Is it possible to generate XMI with GReAT through UDM? How is this
> done, apparently a "conversion" button from UDM is missing from my GME
> install.

GReAT and UDM do not currently have an "export to XMI" for the instance
models of UDM. UDM class diagrams can be converted to XMI but they do not
buy much. If you are an expert in XMI a generic export to XMI for UDM
models would be really helpful and highly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Adi