[great-users] "How to transform PIM to PSM [Model Driven Architecture approach]"

Aditya Agrawal aditya.agrawal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:39:13 CST 2005

Hi Seyamak,

I am sorry I didn't reply earlier. I was caught up with my work. As for the
example mentioned in the paper, I don't have the old model. If you are
interested you should be able to reproduce the example by going through a
few GReAT/GME tutorials.

We don't really understand what you want out of this example and thus are
not sure what to provide. If you are planning to do reseach on PIM/ PSM
translation then GReAT could be a useful tool.

If you are planning to use it for some industrial application then the
example will not help and you will have to invest significant work in
creating an industrial tool using GME and GReAT.

One thing you might want to be aware of is that there is no universal PIM,
PSM or a PIM to PSM translation. Usually, a PIM is created in a domain
specific language like UML class diagrams with stereotypes, or other domain
specific languages. PSM's are more specific and are highly coupled to the
runtime environment that the application will be deployed to. Thus the
translation will also be tailored to the PIM and PSM.

We have created some toy examples that are provided with GReAT that
demonstrate the principle and how these tools can be used. There are larger
systems that we have built but we may not be able to share them with you for
propriety reasons.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Adi