[great-users] Re: problem about running the transformation

Attila Vizhanyo viza at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Nov 25 13:10:13 CST 2005

The myHouse1.mga model contains 6 Room-s and 7 AdjacentTo connections, 5
of which has doors.
The rule effectively counts the number of AdjacentTo connections, and
discards those with attribute 'hasDoor' set to false (see the HasDoor
guard). Then for each match, the rule increments the Quantity counter in
OrderItem.

GReAT does not have any support for variable pattern cardinality, currently.
But you can get the effect of fixed multiple pattern cardinality by
using multiple pattern objects to specify the cardinality.
The GReAT execution engine binds each pattern variable to a unique
object in the input model.

For example, if you want to find out if a class 'Derived' has multiple
base classes, then you will specify one Derived pattern object, Derived,
and two Base pattern objects: Base1, and Base2. Next connect Base1 and
Derived, Base2 and Derived with pattern association representing the
inheritance association. Finally, set the 'for all' attribute to false.
This rule will find one match if class Derived has multiple base classes
of type Base, because each Base pattern object gets bound to a separate
unique Base class object in your input model. If Derived has 0 or 1 base
class, the rule will find no match.

The limitation of this solution is that you cannot refer to the base
classes using pattern objects, except Base1 and Base2, which two are
selected in a non-deterministic manner.
However, you can write UDM code to fetch all bases of class Derived in
an Attribute Mapping block, eg:
set< Base> bases= Derived.super_classes();
subsitute super_classes with the role name of the inheritance association.

--Attila