[great-users] Master General Exception

Chris vanBuskirk Chris.vanBuskirk at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 16 15:24:21 CST 2006

My Troubles Continue.

After removing the bogus udm dll from my path (i.e. previous thread),
running the GReAT Master Interpreter resulted in a "Master General
Exception" dialog (1 out of 1 times).  For kicks, I used
`menu/file/register-components` to re-register the great master
interpreter.  After that, re-running the great master interpreter
resulted in hard GME crashes, once with an error about "buffer overruns"
(sorry, I didn't capture the exact error).

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled all of the software.  The result when
running the great master interpreter?  Usually, one or more of the
following:

-o- GME process disappears with no error messages
-o- "UDM.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
-o- "Master General Exception" dialog
-o- sometimes the GReAT toolbar icons are there, sometimes not
-o- CiceroUIWndFrame: GME.exe - Application error
    - the instruction at 0x7c911404 referenced memory at 0xfffffff8.
      The memory could not be "read"
    <followed by>
    CiceroUIWndFrame: GME.exe - Application error
    - the instruction at 0x7c910de3 referenced memory at 0xfffffff8.
      The memory could not be "read"

Twice (out of dozens of times) it actually succeeded, and created the
expected non-zero length files on my drive.  But then, invoking the GR
engine complained of "Exception: Com exception: The paradigm is not
registered".  As compared to a second machine with a functioning GReAT,
the only three paradigms not registered on this machine are the three
toolchains that I did not reinstall yet (i.e. ECSL_DP, ESML, and SPML).
BTW, I list the details of my uninstall/reinstall procedure at the
bottom of this message.

The dependency walker for "GReAT Master Interpreter.dll" (& thus the UDM
dll) complains only about MPR.DLL.

Should I just buy a new PC (smirk)?

--
Chris

==========
-o- uninstalled VCP
-o- uninstalled SPP
-o- uninstalled MCP
-o- uninstalled GReAT
-o- rebooted (as requested)
-o- uninstalled UDM
-o- uninstalled GME
-o- deleted a couple of GME-related entries from registry
-o- reboot (to be safe)
-o- install GME 5.9.21
    - complete
-o- install GReAT 1.5.0 (which installed UDM 3.0.0; incl. java)
    - custom/all-components