[great-users] Transformation idioms

Tivadar Szemethy tiv at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Tue May 9 12:22:01 CDT 2006

Sandeep, Joe

> Joe,
>
> This did come up in prior discussions wrt GREAT. The idea there was to
> create templatized patterns that could be instantiated and reused in
> different transformation contexts. I am not sure to what extent it has
> been implemented - perhaps one of the core developers could comment -

(I'm not a GR developer, I'm just chiming in if I might)

This can _almost_ be done even with the current GReAT, I tried it once.
(and I'm not sure if what's  preventing you from doing it is actually a
bug or a feature).

The idea is that you define your generic patterns on MgaObjects of a
very simplistic metamodel, and then use the
LibraryUpdater to customize the patterns for your metamodel (i.e.
redirect MgaObj references). This part  works.

What does not work though is that you cannot create generic connections,
i.e. the pattern matcher does not recognize
"Any" connections associated with MgaObjects. I can think of this as a
bug, since I'm not sure what ConnectorAny was
intended for (if not for this - I know that connection inheritance is a
shady business in GReAT anyway, so I'm not sure).

Tivadar