[great-users] Call for Cases: Transformation Tool Contest 2011 (TTC11)

Pieter Van Gorp pieter at pietervangorp.com
Mon Jan 24 04:04:41 CST 2011

[ PDF: http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC2011/CfC.pdf ]

The Transformation Tool Contest (or TTC) aims at bringing the
people from application domains together with the people that
master tools for solving their transformation problems. Since it
is difficult for people unfamiliar with model transformation to
judge whether their problem is appropriate for TTC and, if so, to
specify their problem in a way understandable by model
transformation professionals, the organizing committee (see
below) welcomes any questions in this respect.

This contest is the fifth of its kind (after an AGTiVE 2007
session, as GraBaTs 2008 and 2009 workshops, and as the TTC 2010
workshop). For the third time, it is organized as a satellite
event of the TOOLS conference, this time TOOLS 2011 in Zürich,
Switzerland. Since TOOLS is colocated again with the
international conference on model transformation (ICMT), teams
from the major international players in the development and use
of model transformation tools are expected to participate again.

===> Phase 1: Case proposal submission <===

 In order to facilitate the
 comparison of transformation tools, we are soliciting potential
 case studies. If you have a suitable case study, please
 describe it shortly but as detailed as needed and submit it
 before March 7th to the online submission system. Cases that
 have already been solved using a particular tool (or general
 purpose programming language) are also very welcome.

 A committee will select a small, but representative set of case
 studies to be used for the contest. Case descriptions should
 answer the following questions:

 • What is the context of the case?
  (provide a short description and references)
   – What is the subject to be modeled?
     (what are the input and output modeling languages?)
   – What is the purpose of the models?
     (what are they typically used for from a larger perspective than
     the proposed case study?)

 • What are variation points in the case?
   (divide up your case in core characteristics and extensions)

 • What are the criteria for evaluating the submitted solutions
   to the case?
   – Correctness test: which are the reference input/ouput
     documents (models/graphs) and how should they be used?
     Ideally, a case description includes a testsuite, as well
     as a test driver (an online web service, or a local script
     that is deployed in http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/share/).
   – Which transformation tool-related features are important
     and how can they be classified?
     (e.g., formal analysis of the transformation program, rule
     debugging support, ...)
   – What transformation language-related challenges are
      important and how can they be classified?
      (e.g., declarative bidirectionality, declarative change
      propagation, declarative subgraph copying, cyclic graph
      support, typing issues, ...)
    – How to measure the quality of submitted solutions, at the
      design level?
      (e.g., measure the number of rules, the conciseness of rules,
      ...)

 • How can the solutions be evaluated systematically using
   information technology?
   Please provide one of the following:

   – a simple spreadsheet (an evaluation form that can be
     aggregated easily.
     See for example
http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC2010/synthesis-evaluation.pdf,

   – a so-called "classification scheme" in ResearchR
     (or a similar web 2.0 platform.)
     See
http://swerl.tudelft.nl/twiki/pub/Main/TechnicalReports/TUD-SERG-2010-10.pdf

 Please submit at http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ttc2011
 Your submission should include (i) a case description (in PDF
 format) answering the above questions, (ii) a ZIP archive that
 contains all test artifacts, and (iii) an evaluation scheme (a
 spreadsheet file or a pointer to an online "classification
 scheme").

Besides the presentations of the submitted solutions, the
workshop will comprise a live contest. For more details (such
as example cases and solutions from previous editions), please
consult the website of the last, completed TTC:
http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/TTC/

! Important dates !

+-------------------------------+--------------+-----------------+
| Event                         |  Deadline    |  Interval to    |
|                               |              |  next deadline  |
+-------------------------------+--------------+-----------------+
+-------------------------------+--------------+-----------------+
| Call for cases                |  24 January  |  6 weeks        |
| Case submission deadline      |  7 March     |  2 weeks        |
| Call for solutions            |  21 March    |  6 weeks        |
| Solution submission deadline  |  2 May       |  3 weeks        |
| Notification                  |  23 May      |  5 weeks        |
                                --------------------------------+
| Workshop                      |  29-30 June 2011               |
+-------------------------------+--------------------------------+

Organizing Committee

• Steffen Mazanek (formerly Universität der Bundeswehr München)
• Louis Rose (University of York, United Kingdom)
• Pieter Van Gorp (Eindhoven University of Technology, The
 Netherlands)

Steering Committee

• Richard Paige (University of York, United Kingdom)
• Arend Rensink (University of Twente, The Netherlands)
• Bernhard Schätz (Technische Universität München, Germany)
• Albert Zündorf (University of Kassel, Germany)

Case Committee

• Jordi Cabot, (École des Mines de Nantes, INRIA, France)
• Barbara König (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
• Tihamér Levendovszky (Budapest University of Technology and
 Economics, Hungary)
• Steffen Mazanek (formerly Universität der Bundeswehr München,
 Germany)
• Anantha Narayanan (Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee)
• Arend Rensink (University of Twente, The Netherlands)
• Louis Rose (University of York, United Kingdom)
• Bernhard Schätz (Technische Universität München, Germany)
• Gabriele Taentzer (University of Marburg, Germany)
• Pieter Van Gorp (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
• Gergely Várro (Budapest University of Technology and Economics,
 Hungary)
• Albert Zündorf (University of Kassel, Germany)

Looking forward to your submission,
Pieter Van Gorp, Assistant Professor (UD)
    Information Systems Group, School of Industrial Engineering
    Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), The Netherlands
    Phone: +31 40 247 2062, Skype: pvgorp, Fax: +31 40 243 2612
    http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/research/