[great-users] GReAT transformation containing a meta model with nested libraries and namespaces

Tim Belschner tim.belschner at ils.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Mar 3 06:41:12 CST 2014

Hello everyone,

I do face an exception when compiling a GReAT transformation which contains
a meta model with nested libraries and namespaces respectively.

First, the exception message:

#--------------------------------------------------#

GR Engine v1.7.7.

Copyright (c) 2000-2007 ISIS, Vanderbilt University

Engine Started. Loading relevent files...

Exception: Could not initiliaze Udm Uml Diagram 'MetaLevel3' from GME
paradigm: 'MetaLevel3': Cannot resolve association

'NS_Level2::NS_Level1::Level1_Connection' with rolenames
'srcLevel2_Connection' 'dstLevel2_Connection'

#--------------------------------------------------#

Due to modularity, I nested three meta models as following (attached as
libraries):

#--------------------------------------------------#

MetaLevel3

--MetaLevel2 (namespace: NS_Level2)

----MetaLevel1 (namespace: NS_Level1) (does contain a <<Connection>>)

#--------------------------------------------------#

Whereas MetaLevel2 and 3 are an extension to the next level below. For
clarity, I built up a small example (GME 13.8.28.1949):
<http://www.ils.uni-stuttgart.de/nested_libraries.zip>
www.ils.uni-stuttgart.de/nested_libraries.zip

The compilation is successful except if MetaLevel1 contains a <<Connection>>
object.

On the other side, if MetaLevel2 is attached to MetaLevel3 without defining
a namespace for it and MetaLevel1 still contains a <<Connection>> object the
compiler runs without trouble.

Summing up:

MetaLevel3 with 'NS_Level1::Level1_Connection'

==> works fine

MetaLevel3 with 'NS_Level2::NS_Level1::Level1_Connection'

==> seems to violate some restrictions

So my question is:

Is it even possible to use nested meta models and <<Connection>> objects
with more than one namespace level?

If my descriptions are two vague, please let me know.

Best Regards

Tim