[great-users] Order properties/guarantees in GreAt transformations

Kevin Smyth kevin.m.smyth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:36:24 CST 2018

Hi Simon,

I think you're right in suspecting 1 and 2 are correct. GReAT makes no
guarantees about in which order parts or rules are evaluated. I believe the
same .mga file will always produce the same output in GReAT, but even an
->.xme ->.mga roundtrip can break it. Same for input files.

If it is possible to create an onto mapping from an element in your input
model to an element in your output model, I would split the ID into two
parts: 1. a hash of the GUID from your input model FCO (maybe combined with
attributes that should make the ID different). 2. Create an ID for the
GReAT transform itself. Write a tool to crawl your GReAT model and perform
a hash. I would sort children by GUID first, then iterate through them and
pick out the things that should change the hash. Write this hash into a .h
file and include it in your transform with a UserCodeLibrary. Obviously,
you must remember or have tooling to run this hashing tool before you
compile your transformation.

Kevin