[tao-users] Memory pools with TAO

Manjula Peiris manjula.peris at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:53:57 CDT 2015

TAO VERSION: https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.edu/DOC/Middleware/trunk
    ACE VERSION: https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.edu/DOC/Middleware/trunk

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
        Ubuntu 14.04

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
        Ubuntu 14.04

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
    specific file, simply state which one]:

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
    C++)]:

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
            Echo sample in TAO

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION?
            No
        LINKING?
            No
        EXECUTION?
            Yes
Ace+TAO

    SYNOPSIS:
[Brief description of the problem]

I am doing some research with TAO to see whether I can improve the
performance when handling multiple requests by keeping memory pools.
For example if a client is sending many number of requests using the
same connection I would like to see whether we can improve the server
performance by allocating dynamic memory from a memory pool which
lives for the lifetime of the connections not only for the request,
similar to memory pools in Apache HTTPD
(http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/pools). This memory pool can be used
in the service as well as in the ORB. If you can point to any
resources or any ideas on this will be greatly appreciated.

    REPEAT BY:
NA.

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:

Thanks,