[udm-dev] udm_ns release

Zsolt Kalmar kalmar at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jun 29 12:56:37 CDT 2005

Endre,

> 	Good news - I finally did this, -o switch, BUT:
Did you test it on any old projects?
What solution did you chose?

> 	To my understanding, backward compatibility means that the code
> written
> in previous UDM is valid and can be compiled.
> 	It doesn't mean, to my understanding, either of this:
> 	- .xml files generated by previous Uml2xml version (from udm) is
> compatible with udm_ns udm.exe
> 	- .xml UDM backend files (udmdom) saved by udm is compatible
with
> udm_ns
> libraries.
>
> 	Since UML models are backward compatible, these can be
regenerated
> by the
> udm_ns version of the tools.

If we will accept the constraints you mentioned, it would also mean the
follows:

1. .xme files need to be imported into new UML.
I think it is acceptable.

2. We need to force using -o all in legacy projects. (I think it could
be avoided with some trick)

3. All xslt-s relaying on a specific udm-xml format will break. I can't
estimate the magnitude of this problem.

Thanks,
zsolt