[Ace-users] measurement with ACE_High_Res_Timer

perrone rperrones at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:35:50 CST 2007

On 2 dez, 22:47, schm... at dre.vanderbilt.edu (Douglas C. Schmidt)
wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
>    Thanks for using the PRF.
>

> > CIAO version 0.6.10
> > TAO version 1.6.10
> > ACE VERSION: 5.6.1
>
> > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> >       Centrino Duo Core, Ubuntu 7.0.4-Feisty, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
>
> > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
> >       gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
>
> > THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE:
> >       #include "ace/config-linux.h"
>
> > THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE:
> >       no_hidden_visibility=1
> >       include
> >  /usr/local/ACE_wrappers/include/makeinclude/platform_linux.GNU
>
> > CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features:
> >     [there is no default.features file, but the gnuace and global
> >  features]
> >         qt=1
> >         fl=1
> >         tk=1
> >         xt=1
> >         cidl=1
> >         sctp=1
> >         zlib=1
>
> > DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
> >      COMPILATION? no
>
> > SYNOPSIS:

> >In ACE_High_Res_Timer class i don't see anything that prevents an external interference between start and stop methods. I  need to measure a block of code like an atomic operation.
>
> What do you mean by "atomic operation"?
>
> > How can i do this? The sample code below depicts a measurement process:
>
> >ACE_High_Res_Timer::start ();
> >block of code;
> >ACE_High_Res_Timer::stop ();
>
> >is The ACE_Sig_Guard class  capable to guarantee this level of isolation or is there another better solution?
>
> It's not really clear what you are trying to be atomic wrt, e.g.,
> signals, thread context switches, etc., so can you please clarify this
> first?
>
> Thanks,
>
>         Doug
> --
> Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197
> Vanderbilt University                        WEB:www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt
> Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schm... at vanderbilt.edu

Hi Doug,

Sorry, but my english is not so good.. :)

I need to measure the execution time related to one block of code, and
i want to do this without any interference produced by signals, thread
context switches or other tasks with higher priorities.
Since the measurement has been initiated, this code becomes a critical
section. Here, "atomic operation" is only to describe a procedure
without any interruption until the end of measurement.

Thanks
Ricardo