[Ace-users] [ace-users] Message Passing Between Two Tasks

David Demland ddemland at marchnetworks.com
Fri Dec 14 11:51:00 CST 2007

Steve,

That is just what I thought. Thank You.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Huston [mailto:shuston at riverace.com]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 10:38 AM
To: David Demland; ace-users at cse.wustl.edu
Subject: RE: [ace-users] Message Passing Between Two Tasks

Hi David,

> Thank you for the information. I have been using the APG (First book
> got when it looked like I might go down the ACE path). I assumed
that
> there would be a way for the framework to sign up tasks and use the
> message queues. Here is what I was looking for:
>
>       Task1 ---->  Message Queue Task2 ---->  Task2

Ok.

> In this case Task1 could tell Task2 to do something by
> placing a message
> in the message queue of Task2; then Task2 would be able to process
the
> message.

Right.

> You are right there will have to be a way for both tasks to know
about
> the queue.

Actually, what you need is for Task 1 to know about Task 2.

> I thought that ACE would have a way to advertise queues for
> tasks to know about them, but I am not sure how. Is there a
> way for the
> framework to advertise queues, or do I have something wrong with my
> assumptions?

You have something wrong in your assumptions, probably. There's no
general advertisement of available queues. However, if Task1 and Task2
were part of a Stream, they wouldn't need to know about each other,
Task 1 would simply forward the message along the stream and it would
get to Task 2.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Want to take ACE training on YOUR schedule?