[Ace-users] multiple ORBs in a single process

Evan Carew carew at pobox.com
Tue Dec 18 08:36:39 CST 2007

Leonard,

Léonard Vimond wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a conceptual question about TAO.
> I would like to know if it is possible to run two ORB instances in a
> same process, issued from two different versions.
> I have seen that the namespace is taggged with the current version, so
> does that mean that such a behaviour is supported?
> What kind of problems could be to anticipate?
>
> Thanks in advance

Well, while you can certainly create multiple ORBs in a single
executable (multi threaded or single), having each one represent a
differing version of ACE+TAO would probably be impossible. Your problem
would be that linking in various differing versions of the TAO library
would work... insofar as the linker is concerned, however, there's no
way to tell the linker to use a particular version of a function with
the same name from both libraries in differing places in the code.