[ace-users] Build ACE-5.5.8 on windows 2003 server X64 ( AMD 64 ) bit machine with platform SDK

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Fri Jul 6 10:23:47 CDT 2007

Hi Venkat,

venkat naidu wrote:

> ACE VERSION: 5.5.8
>
>      HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:    Windows 2003 x64 ( AMD 64 )
> bit Visual studio 7.1.

Are you attempting to build 64-bit binaries?  I don't think Visual
Studio 7.1 will do this, but the tools included with the PSDK will.

>     TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>     COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>         *platform SDK*

OK, so you are using the PSDK.  Which version?  What's the version of
"cl"?  (Just type cl at a PSDK command prompt.  You should get something
like this: Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version
14.00.40310.41 for AMD64)

>      THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE :
>
> ace/config.h conatins #include"ace/config-win32.h"
>
>     THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE :
>
>     CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
>     (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):
>
>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>
>     DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>
>         COMPILATION?
>
>         yes , i have created make files from .sln files and laetr  ran
> make file using *platform SDK*

What's your command line for mwc.pl?  Are you using -type nmake?

>   only ACE
>
>     SYNOPSIS:
> *Build ACE-5.5.8 on windows 2003 server X64 ( AMD 64 ) bit machine
> with platform SDK*

> i hope anyone must have tried building ACE-5.5.8 on windows 2003 x64
> (AMD 64) *platform SDK.*

I have attempted a build with OCI TAO 1.5a (which includes ACE-5.5.6
plus various patches and bugfixes) using just the platform SDK tools (no
visual studio) on WinXP-x64.  I had to make some source changes but I
did get it to compile.  Once I have time to look into some test failures
I'll commit those changes to OCI TAO 1.5a and also the DOC group repository.

Thanks,
Adam Mitz
Software Engineer
Object Computing, Inc.