[ace-users] corrupted double-linked list?

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:45:50 CDT 2007

Hi Eric,

>I have some C++ code that is functioning well on Redhat Linux AS3 with
>gcc 3.4.2 (which uses libstdc++.so.5).  I am testing it in my lab on a
>box with Redhat Linux ES3 with gcc 3.4.5 (which uses libstdc++.so.
>6.0.3).  When testing, my application aborts while it is exiting.
>
>*** glibc detected *** myapp: corrupted double-linked list: 0x12345678
>***
>
>I am using ACE-5.4 using ACE_Reactor in a few places.  I have found
>that the error will go away if I stop using multiple threads.  It
>happens less frequently with fewer threads.  It doesn't happen every
>time I run.  We tried replacing all of our threading code with code
>using ACE_Task to provide the threads.  We tried using ACE 5.5.  We
>tried using gcc 4.1.1 (which uses libstdc++.6.0.8).  We tried most of
>the permutations of these three variables.  Same results.
>
>The abort happens while (I think) static members are being
>destructed.  It is happening during the call to exit().  Since my lab
>machine isn't on the web, I have to type the GDB output...  GDB shows
>the following trace when I ask it "where:"

>free()
>delete[]
>ACE_Select_Reactor_Handler_Repository::close()
>ACE_Select_Reactor_T<...<...> >::close()
>~ACE_Select_Reactor_T()
>~ACE_Reactor()

Have you tried using valgrind to see if there are problems with memory
corruption in your program or in ACE?

>Is this a known issue?  Does ACE have problems with libstdc++.so.
>6?  ...or is it unique to me?

I recommend you upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.9 (i.e., ACE 5.5.9, TAO
1.5.9, and CIAO 0.5.9), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu