[ace-users] SSL Connection and TCP connection

richard zhao rich4tech at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 10:00:34 CDT 2007

ACE VERSION: 5.5.8

HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP and WINSOCK 2.0

COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

 Issues:
  I am doing Client/Server network progarmming  by using ACE. Between Client and Server, I tried two kinds of connections, one connection is TCP connection and another one is SSL connection. through testing, I found TCP connection is much faster than SSL connection. For example, when I send some data by TCP connection, it will take 17s. however when I send same data by SSL connection. it will take 79s. I know SSL connection should be slower than TCP connection.
  do you think it should be so slow? what I did is as following:

   class ServiceHandler : public ACE_Svc_Handler<ACE_SSL_SOCK_STREAM, ACE_MT_SYNCH>
  .
  .
  .
  In this class, there is a piece of code like the following:

  If (SSLConnection) //ssl connection
  {
  //send out data by ssl communication
        send_cnt = this->peer ().sendv_n (iov, 2);
  }
  else //TCP connnection
  {
  //send out data by TCP communication
        send_cnt = this->peer ().peer().sendv_n(iov, 2);
  }

   other code are same for TCP connection and SSL Connections.

  thank you very much for your comments and suggestion in advance.

  Richard