[Ace-users] [ace-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.10 now available

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Sat Jul 28 13:36:22 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to the substantial efforts by many developers, testers, and
users, we are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.10 beta,
which is available from the same download location as per the previous
release at

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/

under the heading "Latest Beta Kit".

The doxygen documentation for the beta is also available.  In
addition to the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles,
this beta also provides source-only packages for the group of users who
use MPC to generate their own makefiles.

We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your
applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use
the:

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're
using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at:

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/

for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU,
UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward.  Overviews of our
recent progress and upcoming plans are available at:

$ACE_ROOT/NEWS
$TAO_ROOT/NEWS
$CIAO_ROOT/NEWS

The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our
daily builds is 98% for the ACE tests and 95% for the TAO tests.  Please
see:

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/

for a summary of these tests.  As always, we appreciate your help in
resolving any remaining problems.  In particular, we hope that x.5.10
will be the final beta before our next "official" x.6 release, so please
help us by testing x.5.10 and let us know what problems you find.
Please see:

ACE_ROOT/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

for an overview of our bug fixing policies.

The following is a list of key changes since the last release.  Please
refer to the corresponding ChangeLog files, NEWS files or Bugzilla
entries for more details on the problem and the nature of fixes applied.

==============
Changes to ACE
==============

. The ACE_utsname struct, used in the ACE_OS::uname() function when the
  platform doesn't provide the standard utsname struct, was changed. It
  defines a number of text fields and their types were changed from
  ACE_TCHAR[] to char[] in order to be consistent with all other platforms.
  This removes the need to write different code for platforms where
  ACE_LACKS_UTSNAME_T is set and that have wide characters (most probably
  Windows). Fixes Bugzilla #2665.

. The ACE::daemonize() "close_all_handles" parameter was changed from
  an "int" to a "bool" to better reflect how it is used.

. VxWorks 6.5 support. Compilation of the core libraries has been validated
  but no runtime testing has been performed.

. CodeGear C++ Builder 2007 support.

. The FaCE utility was moved from the ACE_wrappers/apps directory to
  ACE_wrappers/contrib. It is used for testing ACE+TAO apps on WinCE.
  See the ACE_wrappers/contrib/FaCE/README file for more information.

. ACE_INET_Addr::set (u_short port, char *host_name, ...) now favors
  IPv6 addresses when compiled with ACE_HAS_IPV6 defined and the
  supplied address family is AF_UNSPEC. This means that if host_name has
  an IPv6 address in DNS or /etc/hosts, that will be used over an IPv4
  address. If no IPv6 address exists for host_name, then its IPv4
  address will be used.

. Intel C++ 10.0 support

. Support for the version of vc8 for 64-bit (AMD64) shipped with the
  Microsoft Platform SDK.

. Fixed ACE_Vector::swap() (bugzilla #2951).

. Make use of the Atomic_Op optimizations on Intel EM64T processors. The
  Atomic_Op is now several times faster on EM64T then with previous versions
  of ACE

==============
Changes to TAO
==============

. Added support for forward declared IDL structs and unions to the
  Interface Repository loader

. A new securty option is available using the Access_Decision interface
  defined by the CORBA Security Level 2 specification. This enables the
  implementation of servers using mixed security levels, allowing some
  objects to grant unrestricted access while others require secure
  connections. See orbsvcs/tests/Security/mixed_security_test for
  details on using this feature.

. Removed GIOP_Messaging_Lite support for all protocols

. Fixed a hanging issue in persistent Notify Service during disconnection.

. Added IPv6 support to DIOP

. Added -Gos option to the IDL compiler to generate ostream
  operators for IDL declarations

============== Changes to CIAO ==============

. Extended IDL3_to_IDL2

Bugzilla Bug Fixes

ACE bugs fixed:
784, 1212, 1343, 1510, 1526, 1556, 2437, 2665, 2912, 2947, 2951, 2952, 2953,
2954, 2955, 2956, 2957, 2958, 2959, 2960, 2969, 2970, 2972, 2976, 2983

TAO bugs fixed:
2067, 2803, 2926, 2937, 1962, 2966, 2973, 2977, 2979, 2999, 3002

CIAO bugs fixed:
2902, 2949