[ace-users] Is ACE_Lock::tryacquire_write_upgrade() supported on Linux?

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 31 12:24:26 CDT 2007

Hi Michael,

Thanks for using the PRF.

>     ACE VERSION: 5.5.1

Please upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.9 (i.e., ACE 5.5.9, TAO 1.5.9, and
CIAO 0.5.9), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> Intel PC, Fedora Core 5 Linux
>
>     TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> Same
>
>     COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
> gcc v. 3.4.6
>
> Someone at my organization said that this method is
> not supported on Solaris, and asked me to double check
> that it is supported on Linux.

This method is available natively if your OS platform supports

ACE_HAS_PTHREADS_UNIX98_EXT

It's also available if you use the ACE rwlock emulation, which is set if
you enable ACE_LACKS_RWLOCK_T.  This works on all OS platforms,
including Solaris.

Take care,