[Ace-users] [tao-users] Notification Service connect

Hans Utz hans.utz at nasa.gov
Mon Jun 25 17:14:20 CDT 2007

     TAO VERSION: 1.5.8
     ACE VERSION: 5.5.8

     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux

     THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: config-linux.h

     THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE:
platform_linux.GNU

     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Notification Service

     DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
         EXECUTION

     SYNOPSIS:

For strutured events, the
proxySupplier->connect_structured_push_consumer(objref) does succeed,
even thought the objref is inaccessible to the server.

When calling a connect_structured_push_consumer, and the passed ior is
not accessible from the notification service side, this error is often
not caught in this call, but subsequent event delivery silently fails. -
For instance, if the consumer orb endpoint is listening on the wrong
network interface.

I think it would help debugging, to get an error right away... - I tried
adding a call to _verify_connection in the servant implementation of the
call. This causes the call to connect_structured_push_consumer() to
hang, which is a start, but still not a very catchy error message. So is
there a better way to do that, or are there reasons not to do stricter
checking during connect_structured_push_consumer() on the server side?

Cheers,
Hans