[Ace-users] [tao-users] client configuration: ensuring UTF8 encoding

Vance Maverick vmaverick at pgp.com
Wed Nov 7 10:47:32 CST 2007

Hello,

I'm using TAO 1.5.4 as the client ORB, and JacORB 2.3.0 as the server, on an
FC6 Linux box.  I'd like to make sure UTF8 encoding is used for string
transmission.  This is the default for JacORB (now that I've upgraded) --
executing the debugging entry point org.jacorb.orb.giop.CodeSet, I see

 System file encoding property: UTF-8
 Cannonical encoding: UTF8
 Default WChar encoding: UTF16

(among other outputs, below).  I can safely send and receive a test string
with Japanese characters from my Java client (also using JacORB).

My question is, how do I configure TAO to make sure it handles its end
correctly?

Right now, I'm passing "-ORBNegotiateCodesets 1" to CORBA::ORB_init.  (And
this did force me to link to libTAO_Codeset.)  However, this is not giving
the desired result -- when I send a string with Japanese characters, my Java
code on the server side doesn't receive the right decoded (UTF16) value.

I'm including the report form for background, but I don't think this is a
bug -- more a case of RTFM, if I could figure out where.

    Vance

-- PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM --

    TAO VERSION: 1.5.4
    ACE VERSION: 5.5.4

Installed from the FC6 RPMs at dist.bonsai.com.

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: FC6 Linux / Intel
        If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you
        use?:

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
    specific file, simply state which one]:

(As installed from the RPMs.)

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
    C++)]:

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
[What example failed?  What module failed to compile?]

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION?
            If so, what do your $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h and
            $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU contain?
        LINKING?
            On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
        EXECUTION?
        OTHER (please specify)?
[Please indicate whether ACE/TAO, your application, or both are affected.]

    SYNOPSIS:
[Brief description of the problem]

[Detailed description of problem.  Don't just say "<blah>
doesn't work, here's a fix," explain what your program does
to get to the <blah> state. ]

    REPEAT BY:
[What you did to get the error; include test program or session
transcript if at all possible.  ]

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:
[If available ]

-- Full JacORB output --

Operating system name: Linux
Operating system version: 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
Operating system architecture: i386
User region: null
JVM: 1.5.0_11-b03
JacORB: 2.3.0, 17-Feb-2007