[Ace-users] [ace-bugs] ACE_OS::gethrtime produces inconsistent results onx86_64 architecture

Ernst, Nathan Nathan.Ernst at citadelgroup.com
Fri Nov 9 13:10:13 CST 2007

I stand corrected, and appreciate the additional information.  The
thought had crossed my mind that this could produce suboptimal code on
x86, but I'd not the opportunity to investigate further.

Re: the gcc code generation, was this with, or without optimizations,
and, if with, at what level (piqued curiosity)?

I won't argue with the subtleties that surround rdtsc usage and its
default exclusion; I would tend to agree that functionality that can
produce sporadic errors ought to be avoided by default.  That being
said, I'd (as I'm sure we all would) like to see usage of rdtsc be, when
enabled, correct regardless of x86 or x86_64 architectures.

Thanks again.  I appreciate the attention this is being given and the
dialogue.

-Nathan