[ace-users] ACE: Can not be compiled on Mac OS X

William R. Otte wotte at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Oct 1 19:56:59 CDT 2007

Hi -

On Oct 1, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
>> I'm not a mac user but I think Darwin is an internal name.  10.4 is
>> Tiger so it should be supported.  Autoconf may not work (standard
>> caveats apply).  The user needs to take a look at the "Traditional
>> ACE/GNU Make Configuration" instructions in ACE-INSTALL.html.
>
> Right - though the ISIS build on the scoreboard appears to be on a
> PowerPC Mac, not an x86, it _shouldn't_ make much difference. As Adam
> and Johnny indicated, using traditional build will probably get you
> further.

Right - and to add a bit, I use an intel mac every day for my work,
and encounter no problems using the traditional build system.

> Mac OS X is one of the platforms we have partial commitment for adding
> full support on ACE - if you'd be interested in adding to that
> commitment, maybe we can get OS X building clean out of the box in
> short order.

All ISIS sponsored builds will be converting to Leopard (10.5) as
soon as it is released, and as such any best-effort-whenever-I-feel-
like-it-(or it interferes with my work) support for the Tiger
platform I provide will cease at that point.

If you wish continued support for Tiger (or more guarantees than when-
it-interferes-with-my-work support for Leopard), you will need to
contract with a commercial company to provide that support.

Thanks,
/-Will