[Ace-users] Re: [ciao-users] Error trying to return valuetype inherited from another one

Boris Kolpackov boris at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Oct 3 05:39:01 CDT 2007

Hi Santos,

Thanks for using the PRF!

santos . <sanntosn at gmail.com> writes:

> After
> some research I believe that this exception occurs because I'm registering
> only the DataBase factory in the Manager component ORB and I'm returning a
> Data component from the get_data method. But I wouldn't like to register the
> Data valuetype in the Manager ORB because I would have to do that for every
> new component type that provided the ITransferData facet.

Unfortunately that's how CORBA valuetypes work in C++. I wonder it it would
be a good idea to provide a TAO extension to allow automatic registration
of "data-only" valuetypes. If someone is interested, I can sketch out how
things might work.

> So I want to try to use the truncatable option in the valuetype declaration

I don't think you want this. In your case the receiver of the truncated
valuetype will only get the base valuetype data.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC