[Ace-users] ACE + TAO Installation (5.4.7 / 1.4.7) Problem

jim.mathis at lmco.com jim.mathis at lmco.com
Mon Oct 22 12:09:58 CDT 2007

Hi,

Appreciate any info concerning an ACE+TAO installation. Info as
follows:

OS: RH Enterprise 4.0
64-bit kernel

There seems to be various ways to install ACE+TAO and I want to make
certain that I am using the correct procedure. I have read both the
TAO and ACE html install files but there seems to be some
contradiction between to two.

ACE Build (From ACE html)
1. mkdir build (ACE_wrappers top-level)
2. ../configure
3. make
4. make install

ACE+TAO Build (From TAO html)
1. Set ACE_ROOT environment variable as outlined in the ACE
installation notes.
2. Build and install ACE under $ACE_ROOT.
3. Change directory to $ACE_ROOT/ace and execute make.
4. Also build GPERF under $ACE_ROOT/apps/gperf
5. Set TAO_ROOT environment variable to $ACE_ROOT/TAO.
6. Build and install the TAO release under $TAO_ROOT.

So what approach is best to take? I've also noticed the following when
performing the make process:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/FOSS/ACE_wrappers/apps/gperf/tests'
ls: /usr/lib/librt.so*: No such file or directory
make[2]: Entering directory `/opt/FOSS/ACE_wrappers/apps/gperf/tests'
This project will not be built due to the following missing library:
ACE

My OS has the librt.so within /usr/lib/lib64 directory and there is
also a librt.so.1 under /lib. Should I make a link under /usr/lib or
is this a configuration issue? Appreciate any additional info. Thanks.

-Jim