[ace-users] Upgrading to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.10

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Mon Sep 17 09:43:30 CDT 2007

Hi,

> Hi!
> I sent you PRF saying that I use ACE VERSION: 5.21 and you recomended
> that I upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.10 (i.e., ACE 5.5.10, TAO 1.5.10,
> and CIAO 0.5.10).
>
> I have few questions about that:
>
> 1) I saw in http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ that there are more
> advanced versions of ACE. Why did you recommend on upgrading to ACE
> 5.5.10 specifically?

Probably 5.5.10 is the last version available when you send the original
PRF. Please always upgrade to the latest version available at that moment
(which is 5.6 at this moment)

> 2) Does the upgraded version works the same like the old version. i.e
> is there backward compatibality?

There have been a lot of changes, how complex the upgrade would be depends
on what you use. The easiest solution is to just download it, build it and
then build your app and see what happens.

> 3) If I have problems with the upgraded version, will you provide
> support?

The mailing lists are only best effort, if you need guaranteed support
contact one of the commercial companies delivering support. See
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for an overview of
the commercial support companies.