[Ace-users] [ace-users] Basic Reactor concepts

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 20 14:53:40 CST 2008

Hi Gonzo,

> Ok, from what you say I understand the Reactor is specifically geared
> for OS event handling, although it COULD be used to dispatch other
> types of events.

Yes, that's correct.

> Is there a specific class in ACE that implements the
> Half-Sync/Half-Async pattern in a way that is usable for something
> like I have described?

There's no specific one class that does this, but via a combination of
ACE frameworks classes like ACE_Task<ACE_MT_SYNCH>,
ACE_Hash_Map_Manager, and ACE_Reactor you can create what you need.
There are examples of this sort of thing in Chapter 6 of C++NPv2
<www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE/C++NPv2>.