[Ace-users] [Fwd: Re: PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM - nsdel syntax problem]

jeffery.fitzgerald at gmail.com jeffery.fitzgerald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 10:17:50 CST 2008

On Feb 25, 11:27 am, Adam Mitz <mi... at ociweb.com> wrote:
> > Adam,
>
> > Just some more info to the previous problem. My application doesn't
> > use nsadd to add a new binding to the Naming Service; it does it
> > internally as an extra argument to its main() line. But I traced
> > through the code in nsadd and my application, and there didn't seem to
> > be any glaring differences (to me anyway).
>
> > Oddly enough, when I use nsadd, ndel can sucessfully remove the
> > binding, but my Java client application fails to start. The naming
> > context successfully resolves the the name, but when I try to narrow
> > the returned object I get a class cast exception. And of course, the
> > binding added to the naming context by my application can't be
> > removed, but narrow() in the client succeeds.
>
> > To humour myself, I replaced the current (5.5.6) nsdel.cpp with the
> > 5.4a version and recompiled the utility. Voila, success. I guess it
> > may be time to upgrade my 1.2a Developer's Guide. How current is the
> > 1.4a documentation (http://www.theaceorb.com/product/
> > index.html#doc1.4a)?
>
> I'm not sure we can debug any of these issues over the mailing list.
> I hope you saw my post from last week (Friday I think) where I noted a
> limitation of nsdel, when the bound IOR is not reachable.
>
> Note that you have essentially "downgraded" your nsdel because TAO 1.4a
> is based off of the DOC group 1.4.3 release, and you were previously
> using 1.5.6.  (The ACE version numbers start with 5, TAO starts with 1).
>
> 1.4a is the latest edition of the Developer's Guide.  There is also a
> 1.5a release which does not have a corresponding Developer's Guide, but
> the info in the devguide is also generally applicable to 1.5a.  All the
> OCI releases of TAO are open source and freely available to the
> community.  For any OCI-specific questions please write to sa... at ociweb.com.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Mitz
> Software Engineer
> Object Computing, Inc.- Hide quoted text -

Adam,

Yes, I saw that post, although I'm not sure it applies in this case.

I agree about trying to debug any of this over the mailing list. I
guess the best thing to do for the moment would be to try and log
enough useful information here: http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/bugzilla/index.cgi

Thanks for the help.

Fitz