[Ace-users] [ace-users] Make fails to create required target, libACE.la

Steve Huston shuston at riverace.com
Tue Feb 26 11:24:11 CST 2008

Hi Steven,

I've gleaned the critical info from here, but please remember to
include the PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM in the future to ensure all pertinent
information is supplied.

> ACE-5.6.3, configure seems to run happily enough
> with CXX=xlC CXXPP=gxlc, make -k fails, however,
> with:
>
>      make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create \
>      target ../../ace/libACE.la from dependencies.
>
> Google hasn't gotten me anywhere on this, is
> this a known issue?

No.

> Build platform is AIX 5.3 w/
> $ xlc -qversion
> IBM XL C/C++ Enterprise Edition for AIX, V9.0
> Version: 09.00.0000.0002

We don't support XL C++ 9, but there's a autoconf build for AIX 5.2,
VAC 6 on the "futures" scoreboard at
http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/ace_future.html, named
AIX_5.2_VA6_Debug(autoconf). You can check its details out and see if
you can identify a difference that helps you.

If that doesn't help, I recommend following the "traditional" build
method described in ACE_wrappers/ACE-INSTALL.html. Also, if support
for XL C/C++ 9 were funded, I'd dig into why the autoconf build isn't
working there.

Best regards,
-Steve