[Ace-users] [ace-bugs] [ACE_Message_Queue] notify PIPE block causesSelect_Reactor deadlock.

Greg Popovitch gpy at altair.com
Thu Feb 28 13:09:26 CST 2008

Doug, thanks for the answer. In my experience the deadlock was not
simple to reproduce, at least with my application. For the PC, it
seemed to occur only on Vista (not on Windows XP) and while doing
something specific. The whole thing worked fine 99% of the time.
It did occur on one unix platform as well, I forgot which one.

My main app has two threads, and talks to a remote server. The socket
i/o to the remote server is done in thread2. It seemed that the problem
occurred when thread1 was enqueuing lots of messages to thread2, and
when thread2 was too busy with socket i/o with the remote server to
dequeue the messages from thread1.

I did try changing my code slightly to avoid the deadlock, but to
no avail.

In the end I patched ACE (as you suggested).

I don't think it is trivial to create a test case reproducing
the deadlock. Surely doable but might require some time, which I am
lacking at the moment.

Thanks,

greg