[Ace-users] [ciao-users] VxWorks port overview

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Fri Feb 29 05:52:57 CST 2008

Hi all,

Remedy IT has been working several years on the VxWorks port now. The last 6

months a lot of work has been done and it is now a good moment for a global
status update of the VxWorks port.

VxWorks 5.5.1 support was phased out of maintenance Jan 1st, 2007, but we
recently revived this port on request of one of our customers. ACE/TAO x.6.3
builds and runs out of the box for VxWorks 5.5.1 again. We are currently
working on a few last test failures after which ACE/TAO x.6.4 will have a
fully validated port again. As the contract is for a one time update
activity, shortly after x.6.4 we will end the maintenance again. If there is
enough interest and funding for this port we can keep it maintained for a
longer period of time.

The VxWorks 6.x port has recently been extended with an update for VxWorks
6.6
support. We run regular compile only builds for VxWorks 6.3/4/5/6. Regular
runtime testing is performed for VxWorks 6.4 kernel and rtp mode at this
moment. We are discussing with some interested parties to extend our testing

to VxWorks 6.6.

A recent addition is a MPC generator for the WindRiver Workbench 2.6 which
makes it possible to build ACE/TAO using the Workbench.

Furthermore we are looking for additional sponsors to fund the port to
VxWorks
using shared libraries and extend the number of tests we perform for
VxWorks.

All changes we have made are available as part of the DOC group version of
ACE/TAO. All build and test results can be found online at
http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl. We have set up a document with updated
instructions on how to build and use ACE/TAO on VxWorks. This information
is for customers only.

If you are interested in using ACE/TAO on VxWorks feel free to contact us to
discuss your needs.