[Ace-users] [tao-users] STL errors in ACE using STLPort

cbrown charles.brown at sensis.com
Mon Jan 7 12:04:01 CST 2008

    ACE VERSION: 5.6
    TAO VERSION: 1.6

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: sparc solaris 10 sun studio 12

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE : config-sunos5.10.h

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE :
platform_sunos5_sunc++.GNU

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): used makefiles
from tar.gz

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: libACE.so

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION? no
        LINKING? yes - when linking user application
            On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first? yes
        EXECUTION? N/A
        OTHER (please specify)? N/A

    SYNOPSIS: STL errors moving application to STLPort

      We're moving some of our code from using default STL libraries
      to using the STLPort libraries using the SS -library=stlport4
      flag in application makefiles.

      When we get to the link step we get an undefined first
      reference for an STL construct for libACE.so, as follows;

      std::istream &std::istream::read(char*,long) /usr/local/ACE
+TAO/ACE_wrappers/lib/libTAO.so
int
std::char_traits<char>::eof()   ../../libraries/lib/libgcnss.a(GcnssTrans.o)
std::ostream &std::operator<<(std::ostream &,const char*) /usr/local/ACE
+TAO/ACE_wrappers/lib/libACE.so

      I thought ACE didn't rely on STL at all?

      What would be the most expedient way of rebuild ACE+TAO with
      STLPort support?

    REPEAT BY:

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND: