[Ace-users] [ace-users] ACE non-blocking SSL SOCK_Acceptor and FD_SETSIZE..bug? (both 5.5 and 5.6.1)

Steve Huston shuston at riverace.com
Tue Jan 8 18:16:52 CST 2008

Hi Kyle,

> I've been load testing a server application that uses epoll and non-
> blocking ACE SSL SOCK_Acceptor.  All seems well until the socket
> handles go to 1024 and roll over to negative, at which point things
> get messy.

I bet they do... ;-)

> In many cases, the internals of the Countdown Timer seem
> to be corrupted at this point, specifically the pointer to it's
> max_time_value.  Best I can tell, this seems to be a result of the
> Handle_Set performing some FD_XXX operations on negative handles in
> the ssl accept routine. It appears to be a known issue that using
> select-based operations on handles greater than the FD_SETSIZE won't
> work out, but I would expect it to return an error, not corrupt
> nearby memory. Is this one of those "Don't do that" things, or
> should I file a bug report form?

This is a bug, or some level of deficiency at least, since the
implementation assumes it can use select() on the handle value.

Further, this may all be different on Windows...

If you can develop a patch for this, please create a Bugzilla entry
for this and attach the patch to it. Of course, Riverace's services
can help here as well.

Best regards,
-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Want to take ACE training on YOUR schedule?