[Ace-users] [tao-users] : make install target?

Jules Colding colding at 42tools.com
Wed Jan 23 03:11:11 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 16:21 -0500, Evan Carew wrote:
> So, Ken Sedgwick, who makes the RPM packages for ACE+TAO is really
> putting in some serious effort in getting those RPMs formatted correctly?
>
> Chris Cleeland wrote:
>

> > As far back as I can remember with ACE and later TAO, the traditional
> > build system (non autoconf) left deployment up to the user.  Since
> > the  traditional build system accomodates so many different systems,
> > there  is no "one size fits all" install target.

One thing you could do is to put ACE and TAO into a sub directory with a
top-level Makefile.am above. This Makefile could then determine how and
where the ACE and TAO stuff should be installed. Please look at the
autotools build files in the Lorica autotools branch to see an example
of how this can be done:

http://svn.42tools.net/repos/lorica/branches/lorica-autotools/

But - there is really no need if you can use the RPMs from Ken.

HTH,
  jules