[Ace-users] [tao-users] TAO 1.3 SSL/Name Service

Chris Cleeland cleeland at ociweb.com
Mon Mar 10 13:45:29 CDT 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Harry Harcrow wrote:

> Is SSLIOP supported by the Naming Service in TAO 1.3?

What do you mean by "supported"?

> TAO VERSION: 1.3
>     ACE VERSION: 5.3
>
>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>       TRU-64 Unix V5.1

Warning: this is a very esoteric platform.  You may encounter problems
on it that can only be debugged on that platform.

>     SYNOPSIS:
>             Issue involves running CORBA servers/clients with SSLIOP
> plugins and using Naming Service

>             Would like to incorporate use of the SSLIOP pluggable
> protocol without having to upgrade to TAO 1.4.  I have run the code
> examples successfully using IOR files, but cannot get SSLIOP
> protocol to work with Naming Service.  I have installed/compiled TAO
> 1.4 and have successfully run examples using IOR files and the
> Naming Service.  I have also incorporated this into some of my
> client/server code and everything works fine.  However, my
> requirement is for this to work with TAO 1.3

It's not clear from the description what sorts of problems you're
actually having.  It's also not clear precisely which versions of ACE/
TAO you're using.

If you're truly using 1.3 and 1.4, you should upgrade.  As Doug
pointed out, they are ancient and many bugs have been fixed since then.

OCI has both 1.3 and 1.4-based distributions (called 1.3a and 1.4a),
so if you are bound to 1.3 at the source level for some reason, you
might try using OCI's 1.3a, and use the latest patch level.  OCI can
also offer you support on that version (actually, like others, we can
offer support on any version if necessary, though it's easier to
support versions with which we're familiar and have a history).

You can download 1.3a for free from http://www.theaceorb.com/
downloads; you can contact sales at ociweb.com to learn about support
options.

---
Chris Cleeland, Principal Software Engineer
http://www.theaceorb.com AND http://www.ociweb.com