[ace-users] ACE: cannot compile on macOS Sierra, new version release anytime soon?

Claudio Fantacci Claudio.Fantacci at iit.it
Sat Oct 1 11:34:41 CDT 2016

ACE VERSION: 6.4.0

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
        MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013, macOS ElCapitan (10.11)

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: n.a.
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):

        Apple LLVM version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31)
        Target: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
        Thread model: posix

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE:

        #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_ELCAPITAN_H
        #define ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_ELCAPITAN_H

        #include "ace/config-macosx-yosemite.h"

        #endif // ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_ELCAPITAN_H

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE:

        include $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_macosx_yosemite.GNU

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): n.a.

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:

        ACE not compiling on macOS Sierra, as also reported by the following GitHub Homebrew-core issue: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/3639

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION? Compilation process is affected.
        LINKING? n.a.
        EXECUTION? n.a.
        OTHER (please specify)? n.a.

    SYNOPSIS:

        ACE cannot be compiled on macOS Sierra but patched in master branch, new version release anytime soon?

        As reported in the GitHub Homebrew-core issue https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/3639

        compilation of ACE under macOS Sierra fails. The problem is upstream and a fix has been already

        merged to master branch according to ACE_TAO GitHub PR https://github.com/DOCGroup/ACE_TAO/pull/298

        A patch has been also submitted for the Homebrew-core formula https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/5476

        but is not as clean as having a new version of ACE, say 6.4.1, with the latest patches.

        I would then like to ask, also on behalf of many other colleagues working with me, whether there is a plan to release

        a new version of ACE anytime soon or not.

        I’m looking forward for further updates on the matter,

        best regards,

        Claudio

    REPEAT BY: n.a.

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND: see DESCRIPTION.