[ace-users] which library must I use ?

Douglas C. Schmidt d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Aug 22 13:50:57 CDT 2017

Hi Benoit,

> I have a question about how find a library (ACE TAO) to link with when
> a link error is detected ?
>
> Why is'nt a guide to retrieve a library when an object's missing ?
>
> Perhaps it's possible to indicate the library used in the "Namespace
> Reference generated by Doxygen", something like JAVA documentation
> does ?
>
> For example I have trouble in linking. One of the message :
>
> blabla ...undefined reference to `TAO_ServantBase::_find( .... blabla
>
> So I think the problem is the missing TAO_ServantBase Object in the
> libraries I use. But I can't find any documentation about the library
> where is this object. So I'm unable to find the correct library to
> include in my project.
>

> For information, I compiled the ACE 6.4.4 TAO 2.4.4 for cygwin (32
> bits) (updated) on Windows 7.

Thanks very much for your email.  Please make sure to send all questions
related to ACE to the appropriate mailing list or newsgroup, rather than
to me directly since I travel frequently and often don't have ready
access to email.  See

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html

for more info on how to access these resources.

In addition, to ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler
information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem
report form (PRF), which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

Make sure to include this information when asking any questions since
otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options
you've using, which is very error-prone and slows down our
responsiveness.  If you don't use the PRF, therefore, it is less likely
that someone from the core developer team will be able to answer your
question.  Naturally, we encourage and appreciate other members of the
ACE user community who can respond to questions that they have the
answers to.

If you need more "predictable" help on ACE please see

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE commercial
support.

Thanks very much,

        Doug