[tao-users] Stale connections with BiDirGIOP

Milan Cvetkovic milan.cvetkovic at mpathix.com
Sat Oct 17 20:11:55 CDT 2015

OK, answering to my own question to some extent...

I narrowed the problem to Transport_Cache_Manager_T, and its use of
Cache_ExtId::index_.

First, how I see it working:
============================

Transport_Cache_Manager_T uses ACE_Hash_Map_Manager to keep a mapping
between Cache_ExtId and Cache_IntId. In case of IIOP (in my case it
really was SSLIOP, but I doubt there is a difference there), Cache_ExtId
represents IP-ADDR:PORT/index triple for a connection. IP-ADDR:PORT is
the address that Transport connects to, and index is used to allow
multiple connections to same ip/port address. All three values (address,
port, index) are used to calculate hash when stored to ACE_Hash_Map_Manager

When a new Transport is created, it is registered with cache manager,
and it would create an entry using ip:port:index(0). When another
transport is needed again, Transport_Cache_Manager_T::find_i looks up
for an existing connection, and uses it if it is found and idle.

The problem:
============
Transport_Cache_Manager_T::find_i assumes that indexes of existing
connections are all consecutive numbers starting with 0. It will try to
lookup Transport with index=1 *only* if index=0 entry for the same
IP:port exists, and if it is busy. If IP:port:index=0 entry is
previously purged from the cache, Transport_Cache_Manager_T::find_i will
never try to use index=1 (or any other index in the cache).

This scenario is exactly what happens with BiDirGIOP when client
disappears from the network, and later reconnects( and re-registers
callback with same IP:PORT) value:
- server caches first callback with IP:addr:index=0
- client reconnects/re-registers
- server caches the second callback with IP:addr:index=1
- eventually, server cleans up cache entry with IP:addr:index=0
- but it is never able to access the entry with IP:addr:index=1

I am not too sure on the impact on regular TAO clients, since I didnt
try it, but I would assume that:
- if index=0 entry is busy, second transport is created
- if index=0 entry's transport is closed, index=1
   entry is purged from cache, and index=1 entry is no
   longer reachable, until index=0 entry for the same IP:PORT is created.

Potential solutions:
====================
- I could fix Transport_Cache_Manager_T::unbind_i so it made sure
   that the assumption made in find_i is true: If cache has M elements,
   when removing an entry at index=N (where N is in [0,M), all remaining
   entries for same IP:addr should have consecutive indexes
   in range [0,M-1).
- Alternatively, Transport_Cache_Manager_T can be rewritten
   to actually use multi-hashmap. The existing implementation with
   hash-map and indexes seems inappropriate and sub-optimal.
   Or there is a good reason not to use multi-hash-map, that I am not
   aware of...
   It seems that this would touch more files in TAO though.

I would like to contribute this patch. I would appreciate if someone
could advise me, which direction should I take.

Thanks, Milan.