[udm-dev] UDM and GReAT with VS2005

Daniel Balasubramanian daniel at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:39:27 CST 2006

The source files have been updated and new project and solution files have been added.  None of the changes should affect the VS 2003 versions, but I haven't verified this.

If anyone would like to test Udm or GReAT with VS2005, here are the instructions:

UDM VS 2005

1. Get the VS 2005 3rdParty Files: \\atlantis\Project\MoBIES\UdmVS2005\Udm3rdPartyVS2005.zip
This contains all of the 3rdParty files you will need, and many have changed, so don't use old ones that weren't compiled with VS 2005.
2. Unzip the contents of this .zip to the udm_3rd_party folder.
3. Get the latest sources from VSS.
4. Set the UDM_PATH and UDM_3RDPARTY_PATH environment variables as before.
5. I have updated most of the project files to reference the required 3rdparty files directly, so it is no longer necessary to set the include and library directories globally inside Visual Studio for most of the paths (I haven't done this for all include files, though...it is a tedious tiresome task).
6. Open the file UDMVS2005.sln and build your desired configuration.

GReAT VS 2005

1. Get the VS 2005 3rdParty Files:
\\atlantis\Project\MoBIES\GReATVS2005\GReAT3rdPartyVS2005.zip
2. Unzip the contents of this .zip to the folder \3rd_party in the top level of the GREAT_PATH directory
3. Get the latest sources from VSS.
4. Open the file GReATVS2005.sln and build your desired configuration.

I had to change the names of all the project files (because VS2003 and VS2005 use the same .vcproj extension for projects), so I suffixed them with VS2005.

I have run all of the GReAT samples within GME, and they run flawlessly, and they run much faster than they did with VS 2003, too -- I don't know why, but it may have something to do with the fact that I reverted back to statically linking the GREngine with the boost thread library, whereas the 2003 version used a .dll version.  Whatever the reason is, it seems much faster.
I have tested generated code only a little, but it worked with no problems.

The UDM tests (in the %UDM_PATH%\tests directory) have not been tested.

Let me know if you have problems and I'll fix it.

Thanks,
Daniel