[Ace-users] Re: recv_n and send_n with No Timeout

Saul srodriguez at innovative-dsp.com
Mon Aug 6 12:20:46 CDT 2007

Hi Dr, Schdmit,
ACE version: 5.4
OS: Windows XP, not sure what winsock version.
Compiler: we compile under Borland BCB 6, Borland Turbo10,
MSVC .net2003 and MSVC .net2005. We use all these compilers
Contents of config.h:

//
//  ACE Config.h   Borland C++ 6.0 ACE header
//

#include "ace/config-win32.h"

I have no problem with supplied examples.

SYNOPSIS:
There are occasions when the peer (embedded DSP system acting as the
server) may stop responding to send_n/recv_n due to a crash.

Our application is a DSP board running embedded software. We provide
the network communication library software and our customers put their
analysis software. On the other side of the network there is a Windows
PC acting as a client and that is where ACE is running.
Our problem is the following: We would like to use only blocking calls
to send_n(..) and recv_n(..) since we do not know how long the DSP is
going to take to respond to our queries (i.e. it may be busy doing
signal processing). Now, in the case where the DSP crashes we would
like to re-establish communications with the board; so I am
researching the possibility of having a supervisory thread (on the PC)
monitoring DSP-board status and if gone, then abort any pending
recv_n / send_n.

So the question is: is there a way to abort a recv_n / send_n which
have no timeout (infinite wait time) ? I was reading NPv1 and I was
uncler if ACE_SOCK_Stream::close() or shutdown() would achieve this
objective.

I understand we can use timeouts and have somekind of keep-alive
messaging, but I wanted to explore this possibility.

Thank you.
God bless you,

Saul Rodriguez
Software Engineer