[Ace-users] Re: recv_n and send_n with No Timeout

Saul srodriguez at innovative-dsp.com
Mon Aug 6 15:15:14 CDT 2007

On Aug 6, 10:20 am, Saul <srodrig... at innovative-dsp.com> wrote:
> Hi Dr, Schdmit,
> ACE version: 5.4
> OS: Windows XP, not sure what winsock version.
> Compiler: we compile under Borland BCB 6, Borland Turbo10,
> MSVC .net2003 and MSVC .net2005. We use all these compilers
> Contents of config.h:
>
> //
> //  ACE Config.h   Borland C++ 6.0 ACE header
> //
>
> #include "ace/config-win32.h"
>
> I have no problem with supplied examples.
>
> SYNOPSIS:
> There are occasions when the peer (embedded DSP system acting as the
> server) may stop responding to send_n/recv_n due to a crash.

> Our application is a DSP board running embedded software. We provide
> the network communication library software and our customers put their
> analysis software. On the other side of the network there is a Windows
> PC acting as a client and that is where ACE is running.
> Our problem is the following: We would like to use only blocking calls
> to send_n(..) and recv_n(..) since we do not know how long the DSP is
> going to take to respond to our queries (i.e. it may be busy doing
> signal processing). Now, in the case where the DSP crashes we would
> like to re-establish communications with the board; so I am
> researching the possibility of having a supervisory thread (on the PC)
> monitoring DSP-board status and if gone, then abort any pending
> recv_n / send_n.
>
> So the question is: is there a way to abort a recv_n / send_n which
> have no timeout (infinite wait time) ? I was reading NPv1 and I was
> uncler if ACE_SOCK_Stream::close() or shutdown() would achieve this
> objective.
>
> I understand we can use timeouts and have somekind of keep-alive
> messaging, but I wanted to explore this possibility.
>
> Thank you.
> God bless you,
>
> Saul Rodriguez
> Software Engineer
>
> On Aug 5, 8:19 am, schm... at dre.vanderbilt.edu (Douglas C. Schmidt)
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Saul,
>
> > To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information,
> > please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form
> > (PRF), which is in
>
> > $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
> > $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
>
> > or in
>
> > $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
> > $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
>
> > in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
> > when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
> > "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
> > very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.  If you don't use
> > the PRF, therefore, it is less likely that someone from the core
> > ACE+TAO developer team will be able to answer your question.
> > Naturally, we encourage and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO
> [...]

Hi,
I think I have the answer to my question. I am testing an external
function that closes the socket (ACE_SOCK_Stream::close()); using this
method, the recv_n() that had infinite wait time returned; this way if
the peer crashes and recv_n cannot return, just calling close() will
make recv_n / send_n to return.

I anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know.

God bless you,

Saul Rodriguez
Softweare Engineer.