[ace-users] Support for database logging as backend

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Sat Aug 25 09:34:16 CDT 2007

Hi Kailas,

> To throw more light on my query,currently,all options(thread id, file
> number,line number etc ) go string formatted into msg member of
> Log_Record.

Yes, that's correct.  That's what the log() method of ACE_Log_Msg does.

> However, we need to log them into separate columns in the database
> and since we need to have them separately and not in the string
> form.  We either dont want to make any changes to current
> implementation of ACE..

Ok.

> So can you suggest a workaround that would require minimal or NO
> changes in current ACE code so as to acheive this.

I can't think of any way to achieve this within the current framework.
To acehive this you'd need to do a *lot* of surgery to the existing
code, e.g., using the Template Method or Strategy pattern to have
callouts within ACE_Log_Msg::log() every time a format code was
parsed.  My suggestion would be to contact Steve Huston
<shuston at riverace.com> for commercial support since he wrote much
of ACE_Log_Msg::log() logic.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu