[Ace-users] Re: Support for database logging as backend

kailas.nagarkar at gmail.com kailas.nagarkar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 06:14:16 CDT 2007

On Aug 24, 7:09 pm, schm... at dre.vanderbilt.edu (Douglas C. Schmidt)
wrote:
> Hi Kailas,
>
> > We are enhancing ACE logging to support database as backend.
>
> Great!  To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler
> information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem
> report form (PRF), which is in
>
> $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
> $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
>
> or in
>
> $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
> $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
>
> in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
> when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
> "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
> very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.
>
> > For this I need more information on separating out fields for each
> > supported option(%t etc).  Currently all options are formatted into
> > a string.  Can you please let me know how this can be achieved
> > without breaking existing ACE code.
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking.
>
> > Also, can you please let me me know on how can callbacks be used for
> > DB logging as backend?
>
> I recommend you check out Chapter 3 of APG
> <http://www.riverace.com/acebooks/index.htm#apg> for info on how to
> use callbacks.  There are also examples in
>
> ACE_ROOT/tests/Log_Msg_Backend_Test.cpp
> ACE_ROOT/tests/Log_Msg_Test.cpp
> ACE_ROOT/examples/Log_Msg/test_callback.cpp
>
> that might be useful to check out.
>
> Thanks,
>
>         Doug
>
> --
> Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197
> Vanderbilt University                        WEB:www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt
> Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schm... at vanderbilt.edu

Thanks Doug,

To throw more light on my query,currently,all options(thread id, file
number,line number etc ) go string formatted into msg member of
Log_Record.
However, we need to log them into separate columns in the database and
since we need to have them separately and not in the string form.
We either dont want to make any changes to current implementation of
ACE..
So can you suggest a workaround that would require minimal or NO
changes in current ACE code so as to acheive this.