[Ace-users] Re: [ciao-users] Corba 2.x --> Corba 3.x interoperability ?

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Aug 28 07:54:04 CDT 2007

Hi Alessio,

> I will try that, thanks. Can I find (linux) binaries for the idl3_to_idl2 tool or I need to compile the full (or part of)
>  ACE-TAO-CIAO distribution?

You'll need to compile it from the ACE-TAO-CIAO distribution, which you
can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

> Sorry, it was a bit vague. I was wondering, since the concept (and not
> the technical implementation) of component homes is part of Corba 3.x,
> should a 2.x client application interacting with a a 3.x one work A)
> on object home references, using them to create instances or B)
> directly with the object references (created and registered on the 3.x
> side) ?

You can do things either way, i.e., component homes aren't essential for
writing CCM programs, so it's up to you and the way in which you design
your system.  In any case, there's a standard mapping of component homes
from IDL 3 to IDL 2, so the clients simply need to use that mapping.
Please see the tutorial at

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/OMG-CCM-Tutorial.ppt

for details.

Take care,